If you are in the stages of perimenopause or menopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as not being able to sleep at night or waking up having no energy because you are totally exhausted!
Night sweats may be preventing you from going back to sleep because you wake up drenched and have to change the sheets and your clothing. Now getting back to sleep is another problem. You are not alone. These symptoms often are mostly likely the result of a progesterone hormone deficiency.
Bio-Identical progesterone comes in different forms such as a troche (lozenge you suck on like a cough drop), triturate (sublingual tablet), cream, capsule, etc. Your body will recognize bio-identical progesterone as it is exactly made to be like your own hormone. Progesterone can also be formulated into several different flavors. Common flavors are peppermint, tangerine, tea berry, chocolate raspberry. If you are currently taking progesterone, ask your pharmacist which flavors they carry.
Progesterone should be taken in the evening or at bedtime (usually 30 minutes before bed) as it may cause drowsiness. Here are two forms of the types of progesterone Dr. Sinda uses most often:
- Depending on the dose prescribed, you will use either one or ½ of a troche. If your dose is ½ troche; the troche is scored on one side and can easily be cut it into equal halves.
- The dosage is placed between the gum and the cheek, so the hormones are dissolved slowly into the blood stream. It is very important that you do not swallow or chew the troche while it is dissolving. The goal is to have the hormone enter your system through your oral mucosa (skin) rather than being swallowed. It usually takes about 10-15 min for the troche to dissolve and 30 min for a dose to be fully absorbed.
- It is a good idea to brush your teeth about 30 minutes after taking your troche.
- Troches are stored at room temperature between 60 and 80 degrees F or in the refrigerator. Troches can melt so protect from heat and moisture.
- A progesterone triturate is sublingual, meaning it is placed under your tongue to dissolve. Depending upon the pharmacy making the triturate it takes about 5 to 15 minutes to dissolve. Sublingual progesterone is not destroyed by stomach acid or broken down by the liver. It fully enters the bloodstream where it can be fully utilized by your organs. Do not chew or swallow the tablet to let it fully absorb.
- Triturates can be compounded up to 100mg so if you require a higher dosage you may consider changing to a troche which can contain a higher dose.
- It is a good idea to brush your teeth about 30 minutes after taking your triturate to avoid dry mouth during the night.
- Triturates are stored at room temperature. Patients often leave them on their night stand to help with compliance. Avoid keeping any medications in the bathroom due to moisture.
Current patients, if you have questions about your progesterone flavoring or dose method, please call your local compounding pharmacy. Progesterone can be customized to meet different needs such as sugar free, gluten free, etc.
If you are wanting to confirm that you have a hormone imbalance it is important to have your hormone levels measured and reviewed by a qualified doctor who prescribes bio-identical hormones and monitors levels and symptoms throughout the year.
If you have any questions about getting started with hormone replacement or your current regimen give us a call at (952) 922-2345 or contact us, we are always happy to help and answer any questions you may have!
Staff at Innovative Directions in Health