With so many selections, how do you know how to choose the best protein powder?
1) When you choose a protein powder you want to choose one that is not loaded with artificial sweeteners, flavors, additives, preservatives and colors. These ingredients can cause stomach discomfort and bloating.
2) You want to choose a protein powder low in sugar and processed carbs. Stevia is an excellent natural sweetener available in many protein powders now.
3) You want to choose a protein powder with fiber to keep you feeling full.
4) You want to choose a natural protein that is sourced from plant-based proteins or from cows not treated with dangerous growth hormones. Soy protein is not natural and causes bloating and stomach discomfort. Casein, Whey, and milk proteins are excellent choices, especially in blends.
5) Cold processed powders are best, as heating destroys the nutrients.
6) Time-released protein blends with fast and slow acting proteins will provide you with a longer period of nutrition and decreased insulin spikes. Powders with only Whey protein are not unhealthy, but can cause insulin spikes.
Do you have a favorite to recommend? Post it on our Facebook page. I will be posting mine as well!
– Sarah, RN