If you are taking a Bio-Identical Progesterone Triturate (sublingual natural progesterone), you may find some of these tips useful!
First of all, what is a triturate? Triturates are a popular form of medication made by compounding pharmacists that are designed to keep medication in the mouth when local action is needed. They are generally placed under the tongue and allowed to dissolve, allowing the medication to enter the bloodstream quickly and easily. Triturates can be flavored and sweetened to help improve the bitterness of some medications. Compounding pharmacists can prepare unique dosage forms, such as Progesterone triturates, that contain the best dose of medication for each individual. Patients often have a better response to a customized dosage form that is "just what the doctor ordered". 1. If you are taking a Progesterone triturate and are having problems with your triturate dissolving try this:
- Mesh it up with your front teeth so it's almost like a paste, then place under tongue again. Continue rolling tongue over tablet until it dissolved. Or, press it between two fingers then put it under your tongue.
- Once under your tongue, breathe with your mouth open to avoid swallowing. Swallowing the tablet or secretions will NOT be as effective, dissolving tablet under the tongue goes directly to the bloodstream to manage symptoms quickly.
- DO NOT lay down with the tablet in your mouth. Sit up to prevent swallowing tablet secretions.
- If you are getting a 90 day supply, try keeping your Progesterone in the fridge with the cotton ball to keep it staying fresh.
- If you are waking up with it still under your tongue, contact your pharmacy.
2. Keep your Progesterone at your night stand so you remember to take it before bed. Compliance is key. 3. If you do not like the taste of the progesterone:
- Brush your teeth after all of the progesterone has dissolved
- Ask your compounding pharmacy about flavor options such as Chocolate Raspberry. Click here for options.
4. If you are in need of a refill, call your compounding pharmacy even if it states on your bottle that you have 0 refills remaining. The pharmacy will contact us for authorization. If you are due for an appointment you may have to schedule before approval. 5. If symptoms occur, contact our Nurse to help adjust your dosage. Rarely there may be a “paradoxical” unexpected response and you may be antsy, anxious, unable to sleep, or retain water and gain weight. If this happens, please call us. Symptoms of Too Much Progesterone:
Symptoms of Not Enough Progesterone:
- Mood Swings
- Night sweats / hot flashes occurring at night
- Headaches / migraines
- Breast Tenderness
If you are still having difficulty with your progesterone triturate dissolving or experiencing unpleasant symptoms, contact Dr. Sinda's Nurse at (952)922-2345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. She will help to determine if another delivery method would be a better option or if adjustments to your treatment need to be made.