Lindsey’s Healthy spin on Chicken Noodle Soup
Now that fall has arrived here in the Midwest, hearty warm soups are popping up on the menu! Substitute quinoa in place of the noodles for a healthier spin on the traditional chicken noodle soup.
The quinoa adds even more protein to the dish. Add poblano, habanero or jalapeño peppers in it to give it the slightest touch of spice which helps boost your metabolism and all your favorite vegetables like carrots, celery, onions & bell peppers for healthy, low calorie healthy boost. You could also add a can of diced tomatoes to deepen the flavor.
Since this freezes great, make up a big batch and save individual portions for quick meals in the future.
Slow Cooker Chicken Quinoa Soup
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 3lbs. chicken thighs, boneless and skinless (I like trader Joe’s organic, free range skinless chicken breasts)
- 3 cup quinoa (I used Trader Joe’s tri colored quinoa, but any will work)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 8 carrots, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers or 3 bell peppers, chopped (add orange, yellow, & red peppers)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-10 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- Add 1/4 habanero & ½ jalapeño (if you like it spicy!)
- Add everything to a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Let soup cool to allow chicken to cool. Take two forks and shred chicken and add back to soup.
More healthy recipes and tips are on our Blog. Click here. Don’t forget to subscribe to get the recipes emailed to you.
Enjoy! ~ Lindsey, Nurse @Innovative Directions in Health