Happy 1st Birthday!
I can't believe my first little grandson will be 1 soon!
Where has the year gone? My daughter Katie has done everything she can think of to keep him healthy and growing strong. She was very lucky to be able to nurse him all the way through, and now his favorite treat in his highchair…. frozen bright green organic PEAS!
We are planning his First birthday party and discussing the cute little birthday cake we of course want him to dive into with all cameras flashing. As we think of that little body that has never tasted white flour, white processed sugar, and piles of white frosting we shudder just a little. I know what one piece of that does to me…sugar rush..heart beats a little faster..and then I crash! So…we began testing an alternative.
You won't believe this recipe from my amazing friend and Anna Gates. Do any of you remember that fabulous old cake recipe called Gooey butter cake? Well….this is even better! And it's good for you!! I even just baked it in a 9 x 13 pan and cut it up into squares and popped in the freezer for an anytime treat!
Little William will be so HAPPY….and so will MOM! And guess what…not one single guest will know the difference either! ENJOY!
ALMOND CAKE by Anna Gates
- 3/4 cup butter (I used Kerrygold pure Irish butter…amazing and worth going to get!)
- 1 cup zylitol
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour (must get the finely milled blanched almond flour..i order it on-line from Honeyville. Anything else will be too grainy and not cake-like)
- 1/2 cups coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk (find the best can..makes a difference!)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cream together butter and zylitol until smooth
- Add in eggs, one at a time and beat until fully blended in
- Add almond milk and vanilla and mix combine
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt and baking powder
- Beat the dry ingredients into the wet and beat til creamy
- Spread into a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (my gas convection oven took only 22 minutes. I will make it in a layer cake for next!)
- Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream
Or: Frost with this
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted (I love the dutch cocoa powder from Penzies)
- 1 cup agave or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
Combine all in a food processor or electric mixer and blend til smooth and creamy.